Welcome to the world of high performance boating, you’ll never look back. The 520 is Mercury Racing’s lowest model in terms of horsepower, but its features and capabilities are anything but entry level
Standard with Digital Throttle and Shift and available with Axius Joystick Piloting, the 520 is an exceptional driving experience with unprecedented low speed maneuverability. Learn more about Axius Joystick Piloting HERE.
The 520 is available with Mercury Racing’s X-haust noise reduction system, which efficiently reduces the exhaust noise without sacrificing performance. Learn more about X-haust HERE.
Closed cooling throughout the engine and stainless steel exhaust elbows protect the engine from the corrosive salt water environment
The 520 comes with a factory 2 year warranty, keeping your mind at peace while you focus on your racing heart.
- Horsepower520 (388 kW)
- Full Throttle RPM Range 4800-5200
- Displacement Liter/C.I.D 8.6/523
- Bore (in/mm) 4.56/115.8
- Stroke (in/mm) 4.00/101.6
- Compression Ratio 8.7:1
- Alternator (amp/watt) 65/917
- Ignition Type PCM
- Fuel System Sequential Fuel Injection
- Fuel Requirements 87 Octane Minimum (R+M/2), (91 RON) Global
- Drive Unit Bravo One XR, Bravo One XR Sport, Bravo One XR Sport Master (std. & short), Bravo Three XR; (Integrated Transom System Optional)
- Gear Ratio Bravo One XR, Bravo One XR Sport, Bravo One XR Sport Master (std. & short), 1.35:1, 1.50:1, Bravo Three XR, 1.65:1, 1.81:1 or 2.00:1
- Length (in/mm) 34.2/869 (Transom mount to front of engine)
- Width(in/mm) 33.8/858
- Height(in/mm) 24.2/615
- Weight(lbs/kg) 1218/553 (Lightest available engine package (engine, transom plate and drive)
- Warranty2-Year Limited for Recreational Boating
- Complies with EPA emissions requirements. CARB (California Air Resources Board) emissions compliant models are available upon special request.
- 8.6 Liter multiport fuel injected V-8 engine features a premium forged micro- alloy crankshaft, induction hardened and precision balanced for maximum performance.
- Precision CNC cast iron cylinder block features large 4.560-inch cylinder bores for enhanced power and torque.
- Forged 4340 steel, I – Beam, shot-peened connecting rods.
- Forged aluminum pistons, designed by Mercury Racing®, for maximum strength and durability.
- Mercury Racing® aluminum cylinder heads feature optimized valve angles for improved air flow.
- Carburized hardened cam shaft for enhanced durability.
- Performance cam profiles, combined with larger valves, pack more air into the combustion chamber for greater power and torque.
- Broad torque band for enhanced hole shot, unprecedented mid-range punch and consistent pull through the top-end engine rpm operating range.
- Digital electronic throttle and shift for smooth, “Zero Effort” operation.
- The engine propulsion control module (PCM) optimizes fuel and spark control for each cylinder independently, enhancing engine running quality and performance.
- The Engine Guardian System monitors engine functions to forewarn of possible problems that could lead to engine damage.
- Fuel delivery is ensured with twin electric fuel pumps operated in a water cooled housing.
- The thermostatically-controlled oil system ensures faster oil warm up. The high-capacity cooler maintains good oil temp under all operating conditions.
- Closed-cooling system features five-year coolant for reduced maintenance and increased corrosion protection.
- 65-amp (917-watt) charging system.
- Two year limited warranty for recreational boating.
- Suitable for: Catamaran Race, Catamaran Sport/Poker Runner, Sport Cruiser, Vee-Bottom Race, Vee-Bottom Sport/Poker Runner
If you have a question that’s not answered in our FAQs or you need additional information, please contact us at the phone numbers listed below.
Mercury Racing Technical Services Hours
Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Outboard & Sterndrive Consumer Affairs
(Calls may be recorded for quality purposes)
Mercury Racing Product Technical Publications
Service manuals, parts manuals; operation, maintenance, and warranty manuals.
High Performance Marine Engines