Class Leading Performance
Naturally aspirated, 4.6 Liter V-8; 53% higher displacement than the 3.0 Liter 250XS OptiMax.
Low Cost of Ownership
250 rated horsepower on readily available 87 octane (90 RON) pump fuel while maintaining a comparable weight to the legacy two-stroke 250XS.
Class-leading 4.6L displacement resulting in 40% more bottom-end torque.
Transient spark calibration boosts mid-range torque by as much as 7% for superior acceleration.
Advanced Range Optimization automatically adjusts fuel delivery for up to 10% improvement in cruise-speed fuel efficiency.
Class-leading Battery Charging
High capacity alternator produces 42% higher charging output vs. the legacy 250XS OptiMax. Idle charge battery-management automatically increases engine idle rpm to boost alternator output, ensuring batteries are always charged to the proper level.
An industry-exclusive Top Cowl Service Door simplifies rouine maintenance with easy oil checks and oil fills without removing the cowl. Graphic, hour-based maintenance decals under the cowl for easy access to all regular powerhead maintenance points.
Maintenance-free valve train for life of the engine.
Tri-Ram midsection with high-durometer elastomer upper mount and solid lower mounts for enhanced handling at higher speeds.
The surface piercing Sport Master gearcase, designed for boats capable of speeds in excess of 85 mph, features low water pick-ups and a crescent leading-edge for maximized efficiency and speed.
Hand Crafted Propellers
A full arsenal of custom Mercury Racing propellers are available to maximize performance in any application.
An optional Graphite Grey accent panel is available as a kit. A paint-ready kit is also available to custom match the engine to the boat.
Three year limited factory warranty
The 250R is backed by a three year limited factory warranty with up to two additional years of Mercury Product Protection available.
- Rated Horsepower (HP/kW) 250/186
- Bore & Stroke (in/mm) 3.6 x 3.4/92 x 86
- Idle RPM600
- Max RPM at Full Throttle5800-6200
- Cylinders/Engine Configuration V-8 (64 degree) with 32-valve Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC)
- Displacement (Liter/CID) 4.6/279
- Induction System Performance-Tuned Long Runner Intake Manifold
- Fuel System Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) Computer Controlled with Advanced Range Optimization
- Fuel Requirements Unleaded Regular 87 Octane Minimum (R+M/2) or 90 RON
- Ignition System SmartCraft PCM 112 Digital Inductive
- Charging System 85-amp (1071 Watt)
- Starting Electric Start with SmartStart Protection
- Lubrication System Integrated wet sump
- Oil Requirement NMMA Certified FCW SAE 10W-30
- Throttle and Shift Controls Mechanical
- Midsection Design Tri-Ram Midsection with High-Durometer Elastomer Upper Mount and Solid Lower Mounts
- Shaft Length (in./mm.) 20/508
- GearcaseSport Master
- Gear Ratio 1.75:1
- Weight (Lbs./Kgs.) 520/236
- Warranty 3-Year Limited
High Performance Marine Engines